Communication has now become a mainstream of task in every organization, may it be concerned with academia or industry. But today efficiency is essential even in communication process to eliminate any sort of ambiguity in any sort of process.
Companies should particularly pay attention in the context of change, on those who deliver messages on particular time. A clearly planned communication strategy can facilitate organizational transformation as the entire process occurs in a way where everyone is explained the reason of change and their role they would play in it.
Change is often very difficult because it doesn’t please everyone with the chosen style and channels but it cannot occur without communication and planning up with a communication arrangement for a change is although a lengthy effort yet it is called to be persistent effort.
At the end all departments are affected by the change and would need to have an access to the information they need and it’s even more important to control what messages are delivered by whom and when. So the data can then transform easily.
Components for Effective communication:
Effective communication consists of the following components internal functioning for shared meaning:
- The message presented by individuals must be clear and detailed, and radiate integrity and authenticity.
- The listener must be given free hand to ask relevant questions for his clarity, and a relation of trust is essential for both parties.
- The communication means and methods must suit the circumstances and the needs of both parties.
- A reasonable content that somehow connects or carries a link with the already-held beliefs of the listener is yet another important factor involved.
On meeting the criteria the organizations can now proceed to conduct a detailed examination on whole communication process to make improvements at an atomic level.
What Does Change Management Entail?
Change management is also a process that includes the few important actions like following yet they are simple to understand but might not be always simple to implement:
- In order to achieve the goals, sharing information about what needs to be changed and subsequently delivered.
- Ensuring alignment means to correctly acknowledge information which is done by the stakeholder
- Mobilization is a sequential setup of things so that a change occurs as in order of functioning of tasks.
Changes are also mandatory at a cultural and structural level for cancel out the effect of resistance. Organizations should look for ways to make communication more efficient as it continues to play an essential role.
Tips for Improving Communication in the Context of Change
The bullet points of communication may it be internal and external are consistency, frequency and spreading of messages while the elaboration includes the messages delivered must be consistent, the communication process must be a frequent process and the communication must be done across multiple channels. Therefore the message should be altered with respect to writing, speech, video, and etc for better delivery.
It has been often heard that companies which are going through a process of change never over-communicate so explaining why changes are necessary can help people better comprehend the context and the purpose. another important thing to remember is to right away share all the details across the company to avoid the negative consequences of not communicating enough. In other words, creating a theoretical framework can easily help memorization of information communicated.
Realizing communication as a conversation rather a presentation helps adopting a change more conveniently however changes typically come with a vision, mission, and objectives in mind. And changes are implemented through a conversation between the change leaders yet employees must be capable of understanding the impact of change on them.
On the other hand, employees must be given ample time on requesting clarifications and giving feedback by the change leaders. Leaders in response to the requests of clarification should only answer the queries they are known to but that really don’t mean that rest of requests must be ignored entirely, instead it would be better to promise to find out an answer in due time which can certainly help.
On communicating new details employees will ultimately want to learn about them. However, Interactive workshops and training sessions are great ways of exploring the changes only when they are bi-directional, along with the assumption of involving all levels of the company. Moreover, it also promotes networking, both formally and informally.
Positive approaches and accomplishments should always be part of the process and every step that leading a company closer to change should be celebrated publicly.
Communication-Centric Transformation Model
With objectives of improving the quality of the existing services, staying at the top of your competitors and cutting down the labor costs there is need to create a plan that would get the entire company closer to the desired results. To accommodate this change, they need to:
- Analyze the need for change and the affected teams to design a roadmap for change.
- Guide the executive sponsor for a better selection of the stakeholders to better approach transformation
- Develop a communication plan for sharing details about the change more effectively ensuring that everyone understands the impact of the changes at an individual level.
- Implement the change by facilitating discussions and answering clarifying queries.
- Measure and manage the resistance
Using Communication Plans as a Prototype for Change
Changes occur continuously in companies which have innovations as a core part of their goal. As a direct consequence, the time and methods leaders would use for answering questions would be identified and front-line workers were thus able to get best answers. Such changes reflect not only their products but also the flow of their internal processes. So once a major transformation occurs it becomes a prototype for rest of the world. Hence updates might be possible but the root model remains the same until a major change occurs within a root so companies can capitalize by using it again and again and could even be regarded as a service.
Comments are closed.